Sunday, May 3, 2009

Revamped Bookshelf

So after an entire week of procrastinating, I finally got down to revamping the boring old bookshelf in my room. It's something that I've been meaning to do since months ago, but never had the time to due to the hectic school schedule + Operation GPA. Before I talk about my bookshelf, may I just announce to the world that Operation GPA was a great success! My grades jumped way beyond my expectations...pulling my cumulative gpa up by 0.27 points -- which is a cause for celebration! Now, I am a bit more hopeful about graduating with some kind of "credit" and also less doubtful, more confident of my own intellectual/academic capabilities. It's quite a miracle, considering many of the extra commitments I had this past term (e.g. RA/TA commitments).

Anyways, on to the shelf. Basically, I have this ugly old bookshelf in my room that holds all my textbooks, reference books, notes, handouts, notebooks, etc. And I wanted to give it a fresh new look. If you know me well enough, you should know that I love to paint things in my room/decorate my room. My bedroom walls have undergone several design changes. From plain white, to whimsical kid sillouhettes, to white/light purple chunks, to white/light purple chunks with random quotes and frame designs in black. My toilet dresser has a stenciled design done with light purple paint. I decided it was about time to give the ugly old bookshelf a makeover.

Materials:
  • Off-white paint (this was leftover paint from my last painting project)
  • Painting tools, e.g. big brushes, small brushes, rollers, paint tray
  • Fancy wrapping paper (i got mine on discount from prints)
  • Tape (to secure the wrapping paper to the shelf)
After two coats of paint, I pasted the pretty paper onto the back of the shelf and yay! New shelf. Painting the bottom third of the shelf required some skilful contorting of my body into awkward positions. Good thing I had practise from dance. Here's the shelf (empty) sitting in front of  my bed...
 And here's the shelf with things on it! Maybe you'll recognize some of these books. There's Campbell, Kotler & Armstrong, Coon & Mitterer, Sloman, Mauder, Ramsden, and the ubiquitous McGraw-Hill books.

No comments: