Sunday, February 11, 2007

it be's that way sometime

At my brother's recommendation, we went to Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie at Robertson Quay today. Although the cake's weren't really super super super fantastic, they're were pretty good lah, haha. And the place was quite pretty, and not too crowded. You can see some of the stuff they had up as decorations below. Interesting I guess. I didn't manage to take photos of the prettier bit as it was in plain sight of the counter, haha. But basically it's their chocolate section? Lots of lovely brown stuff, and my brother said they offer printing services so you can personalize your chocolates to be given away! And they had this hugeass wedding cake in the kitchen, like, about half my size! It was really quite pretty and swirly. Their kitchen's pretty cool, reminds me of Made To Order's kitchen, you know, the professional clean looking, lots of stainless steel type, haha. You can look into the kitchen because it's separated by a large glass window.










An odd looking shoe holding cookies, and some iced present boxes I think.


The cakes we ordered: Chloe, Cafe Noix (shouldn't it be Noir?), Jupiter. Jupiter was by far the best, haha. Describe in more detail later on. Will talk about Chloe now, since I don't have a nice close-up of it. From what I recall, it had peaches, citrus yoghurt, a lot of other things and rice krispies (-___-). It sounded really fabulous, but didn't quite live up to the standard. A passable cake, but could definitely have been better. Maybe they shouldn't have made it sound so promising, haha.

Cafe Noix was not bad too, better than Chloe, but we've had better coffee cakes I think. Still, it did look good, and was quite nice, so maybe I shouldn't be so picky. But did you know Canelé's by the Les Amis group? Haha, maybe that's what made me expect so much.

This was really good! It was better than expected actually! The ganache was really rich and bittersweet, the way I like it, and the mousse inside was quite smooth. The best part is that it had layers of tangy cherries(?) inside which offset the sweetness and thickness of the chocolate really well. Very thirst-inducing, but would definitely get this again. Forgot to get a picture of the inside because we were too busy eating. Oh well, guess this just means that we have to go back again =D

Well, after eating all that, we decided to go walk around and explore a little. I don't know how this came about, we crossed some bridge and walked along some bridge and came to this park-like place you see in the centre picture. It's outside some condo which is evidently expat area. Very nice to stroll through, quite relaxing. Or so we though =p Some stupid 15 second rain made us run into an underpass, which led us to a really odd place. But we decided to be adventurous and explore a little, and we somehow ended up at Clarke Quay! How miraculous, that little bit of rain, haha.


On the left is the view of Robertson Quay from across the river, the condominium side. Quite pretty and very typically Singapore I should say. I think this is the picture they always use to lure expats and tourists, haha. On the right's the view of Clarke Quay from across the river too.

There's a new shopping mall right at Clarke Quay MRT called the Central. Reminds me of Novena Square, very typical and all metal and glass. But there was this Hokkaido Ice Cream stall with pretty good ice cream! Maddy got Banana Choc, and I got Rum&Raisin. Her banana really tasted like it had bananas, and mine really tasted like it had rum, haha. If it weren't so soft I'd say it was perfect. So we brought our ice cream down to the riverside and sat there to chill, watching the boats go by =) Despite the sun, it was really very nice and relaxing. Wind blowing in our hair, and just the whole happiness of it all. Oh! And this mom with 2 young sons went by in a boat and went 'Wave to those pretty girls!' Hwah, pretty girls leh!! Hahahha, happy, hahaha.

Anyway, we can go visit Clarke Quay more often now, Maddy has a straight bus there! And I obviously have a straight train there. They have a lotta cool food places, we must try okay! Morrocan, Persian, Mongolian, etc. A bit expensive, but like, can at least just walk around and enjoy the riverside at night =) Set okay!

Lastly, look! Ultimate Fried Rice leh!! Ultimate okay! At Clarke Quay too I think? Or was it Robertson Quay? I'm amused, haha.










Oops! Nearly forgot! Maddy just reminded me, haha. We bumped into Wong LiLin and Allan Wu with their family at the riverside! Second time I've bumped into them already. Maddy couldn't get over how hot he was, hahaha. But he really is better-looking in person. Kay, that's it for the celeb-sighting, haha.

2 comments:

maddy and eggy said...

allan if you're reading this...call me :D

maddy and eggy said...

oh! and i preferred chloe to noix...