Tuesday, May 22, 2007

bake of the day

Woke up this morning and decided to make scones. These are really yummy, crumbly, buttery and melt-in-your-mouth. Super when warm from the oven! I'm very happy with it! Definitely worth the 5 stars it got on allrecipe.com. My first attempt at scones, turned out really well I think, haha. I love rubbing in butter into the flour, getting the breadcrumby dough, so pretty and cool, and the smell of the frozen butter. And I like the rough rocky look of these scones, it was too sticky, so I didn't bother shaping them nicely. I'm very happy with these scones! Everyone, go make some now and feel happy too!

I got 11 drop scones out of this recipe. And I substituted milk for sourcream cos I didn't have any about the house. Oh yeah, add the liquids slowly and in parts, I didn't use all my liquid, only about 2/3 of it because it was wet enough. And prepare the butter beforehand if you don't want to grate it (pretty tiring, though fun and pretty). It's alright if you just chop it into small pieces then freeze it again.
Raisin Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter, frozen (~120g, half a stick of butter in s'pore)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg

  1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
  4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
  5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: