Saturday, January 6, 2007

why do gorillas have big nostrils

Am currently down with flu due to the constant lack of sleep =( can't really breathe and I keep sneezing everywhere, haha, and I was seriously wondering whether or not to go to work today. I felt well enough to work I suppose, but it's food production after all, isn't hygiene and sanitation supposed to be top priority? But mrs yap didn't say anything, so I just tried not to sneeze in the direction of any pudding, haha.

I've been too lazy to update these few days, what with all the moaning and plotting to take medical leave from work that never came to pass. So here's a quick summary:

MondayMade mushroom quiche! It was really simple, but it didn't turn out like I hoped. The mix was too wet I think, because the filling didn't manage to be as hard as I liked. Quite jiggly actually, haha. And it took so long to bake, a lot longer than the recipe stated! Could it just be my oven? Well, time to experiment with another recipe.

The really fun bit was at Maddy's place on Monday night. A very spontaneous sleepover (just me and Chan) with a very spontaneous programme for the night too, haha. Our redecorating ambitions are finally getting some headway! We got our very first client in the form of Sin ni, who is not yet aware of it. At least, I think she's unaware, unless she's just planning a very very sneaky revenge.So anyway, we gave her place a lil' midnight New Year spruce up. You better love it Sin ni, it took us all night to pick out the gaudiest ribbons and gayest main character (no, not chan) to hold up the favoured chun lian! And I wrote all the chun lians (with minimal aid)! Been 2 years since I last wrote chinese man. Hopefully Maddy has better photos, you can't really see it in it's true gaudiness here.

and here's chan's very pretty jam heart from our celebratory breakfast at 6am.

Today
Just something I whipped up really quickly. I like all these quick cookies, cos there's still time to do it after work, and this one had a short baking time too =) It's a chewy cookie, a bit cake like actually, and it has crisp edges. I substituted almonds for pecans since I had some lying about the house. Not a bad cookie to try. You could try increasing the amount of maple syrup though, the flavour is quite subtle, and I like my maple oatmeal cookies a little more maple-y =)

Okay, it feels like i've forgotten to talk about something, but it'll come to me when it does. That's all for now then!

Eggy

Maple Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup ap flour
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
1/s tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 cup rolled oats (regular or quick cooking)
½ cup coarsely chopped cinnamon glazed pecans


Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Cream butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in maple syrup and egg. Stir in flour mixture and oats, adding pecans at the last minute. Stir only until just combined.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at 375 for 9-12 minutes, until set and golden brown around the edges.
Makes about 2 dozen.

from Bakingsheet, one of my fave reads =)

oh, and because they have big fingers.

No comments: